Welcome to our Nursery
St James’s Catholic Primary School
St James’s Nursery - Our Nursery class, provides a 52-place nursery provision for 15 hours per week. We offer two formal admission entry points for children who have turned three years old, one in September and another in January, during the academic year.
At St. James's Nursery, we provide everything you would expect for your child's first educational experience. Our children have access to a spacious open-plan learning area that leads directly to a well-equipped outdoor space. The outdoor learning space is shared between our Reception and Nursery classes, which ensures it is thoughtfully planned and heavily invested in to stimulate your child's imagination and nurture their love of learning.
Our Nursery is led by the highly experienced Teacher, Mrs. Hayes, who has specialised in early childhood education for many years. Along with her team of practitioners, Mrs. Hayes ensures that each child is recognized for their unique strengths, nurtured for their individuality, and prepared to make the best possible start in their primary education.
The Nursery open hours are Monday-Friday: 08.45-11.45.
A significant number of our children attend our provision in the morning and opt to continue with one of our after-school care providers, namely Scamps and Strawberry Hill. This seamless transition between providers allows our children to form strong bonds with their peers who follow the same routine.
Why choose St. James's Nursery?
In addition to our newly updated and refurbished open-plan classroom; which includes two interactive white boards and a wide variety of resources to enable play based learning, our nursery children have daily access to a range of excellent onsite facilities and teaching resources. These include:
Large school hall: Nursery children love participating in teacher-led physical development lessons that take place here every week.
The Thomas library: Story time is enjoyed weekly in this beautiful book-filled room in small groups.
Music room: Our talented Music Director provides music lessons every Monday.
- Inclusive school community: Nursery children regularly attend and enjoy year group performances and assemblies, and love to be read stories by year 6 children when they visit our Nursery.
Experienced Staff: Our children are taught by a highly experienced EYFS Teacher and dedicated key worker team. The Nursery team has years of experience working in early years education and is fully trained to work with young children.
Outdoor classroom: Our unique learning space located next to the EYFS playground is regularly visited to enhance the children's learning experience.
- Great playgrounds: Our EYFS playground includes resources for all key areas of learning, sensory zones, role-play areas, PD equipment, a climbing frame/slide and a much-loved mud kitchen! Nursery children also enjoy visiting the other school playgrounds with different play equipment.
- School Field: An impressive, tree-lined, green open space that is always a highlight for Nursery children, especially during exploration trips or nature trails!
- Wildlife pond: Stimulates the children's love for nature and creepy crawlies!
- Inclusive learning: We pride ourselves on providing an individual experience for all children. We have a dedicated Quiet Zone for children who require 1:1 support. We incorporate strategies such as Makaton, Mantra Lingua, and The Zones of Regulation on a daily basis to enable our children to develop their communication and self-regulation skills.
Nursery Curriculum: Our curriculum is mapped out with the Early Learning Goals in mind and is broken down into steps. To assess our children, we use Early Learning Goals and the Development Matters Framework. We deliver a Mastery Curriculum with lessons linked to the current topic, which is introduced every half-term. Our creative curriculum includes a memorable experience for each topic.
- Teaching and Learning: All Teaching and Learning at our Nursery is in line with the Teaching and Learning Framework, designed to meet the unique needs of our Nursery children in a purposeful learning environment. We pay particular focus on language development across the curriculum and quality first teaching. Our Nursery children are taught in small groups and as a class to ensure a child-centred approach and rapid progress.
- School integration and community: The Nursery is part of St James’s Catholic School. Our Nursery is situated alongside Reception and provides continuity and familiarity with the school environment, teachers, and school routines. This can provide a smooth transition from Nursery to starting formal education at St James’s Catholic School. However, Nursery children must meet the school’s entry requirement criteria; they do not get automatic entry.
Please following the link to the admissions page for further details.
To ensure your child is fully prepared for St. James's Nursery, please make sure they have the following items:
- Nursery uniform: Your child's uniform should be labelled with their name.
- Nursery book bag: Our school bag is the perfect size to carry your child's belongings, and it will protect the Nursery home book wallets from damage during transportation.
- School PE bag: This bag should be kept on their named peg and contain a full change of clothes, including socks.
- Wellington boots: Your child will need a pair of wellies that they can keep at Nursery for wet play.
- Water bottle: Make sure your child's water bottle is labelled with their name, so they can stay hydrated throughout the day.
- Sun hat: During warmer months, your child will need a hat and sunscreen (applied at home) to protect them from the sun.
At our Nursery, we foster a culture of exploration and learning, where children are encouraged to "put out into the deep" and discover their full potential.
If you would like to arrange a Nursery/school tour or you would like your child to join our Nursery, please contact us.
Telephone: 020 87448860. For all enquiries contact: email@example.com
“Two of my children attended St James’s nursery, they loved it & we’d highly recommend. The nursery was a very nurturing & caring environment with lots of opportunity to play freely, be outside and it really set them up well for transition in to primary school.”