‘Our vision is for a highly-educated society in which opportunity is more equal for children and young people no matter what their background or family circumstances’
Department for Education, Vision statement
The Pupil Premium funding was introduced by the Government in April 2011. From September 2012, schools now receive specific funds to support children from low-income families who are eligible for free school meals ( FSM) or have been at any point in the last six years (Ever 6), looked after children (LAC) and those from families with parents in the Armed Forces (SC), under the umbrella, Pupil Premium (PP).
Aim of the Funding
Schools have the autonomy to spend the funds as they wish, with the aim of reducing the attainment gap between Pupil Premium and non-Pupil Premium children. The Government and governors hold schools to account with regard to the impact of this spending and schools are required to publish information on their website.
Free School Meals
If you are eligible for free school meals you could be saving yourself hundreds of pounds a year. You could also provide further funding for the school to help with the provision of educational resources to support your child and other children at the school.
Can I apply?
In order to be eligible for free school meals you must receive one of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit - if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
How to apply?
If you would like any support with your application or any further information please contact the school or the Richmond Borough Pupil Finance Officer:
Telephone: 020 8547 5448