Vision and Values
Our Vision for St James’s
St James's is a Catholic school in which each individual grows in the knowledge and love of Christ. In partnership with parents and the whole community, our purpose is to provide a high standard of education, giving the maximum opportunity to realise each person’s potential.
We believe that to make this vision a reality, we must:
- Follow the example of Christ and in so doing, treat our children, families and staff with dignity and respect.
- Help our children and families and each other know of God’s love for all of us and to learn about the message of Christ through the Gospels.
- Provide a high quality, inclusive education for all where creativity and personality are allowed to blossom and thrive and where independence, motivation and perseverance become life-long skills.
- Nurture all individuals to develop confidence in themselves and have high self-esteem and ensure that the children achieve their full potential in all areas of the curriculum.
- Encourage and motivate a highly skilled team of staff and continually develop our knowledge to ensure the best possible education for all of our children.
- Recognise the immense potential of working in partnership with the children’s families, the Parish and wider community in order to fulfill our wider ambitions for the children in our school.
- Support our children, their families and each other in the faith journey, in developing a knowledge and understanding of the traditions of the Catholic Church and especially in sacramental preparation.
- Foster in the children, respect for themselves and all human-beings and the environment and society in which they live so that they grow into kind and caring young people who respect others regardless of their faith or cultural backgrounds.
All adults at St. James’s Catholic Primary School have a commitment to the well being of our children. We see our school as an inclusive community. The development of the whole child is at the heart of our mission as a Catholic school community.
The spiritual journey our children and adults travel, brings with it the responsibility of using our gifts to the full, living side by side with each other as Christ would expect us to, with an understanding of truth, justice and peace.
There is an ethos of challenge and a sense of purpose in children’s learning coming from high expectations in the learning and teaching throughout the school. We welcome a broad curriculum, and we prepare our children for their role as citizens of the future.
As a Catholic school our values of compassion, care and respect rooted in the Gospel encompass those values identified by the Government as "British values". So we:
enable students to distinguish right from wrong and to respect the civil and criminal law of England;
encourage students to accept responsibility for their behaviour, show initiative, and to understand how they can contribute positively to the lives of those living and working in the locality of the school and to society more widely;
enable students to acquire a broad general knowledge of and respect for public institutions and services in England;
further tolerance and harmony between different cultural traditions by enabling students to acquire an appreciation of and respect for their own and other cultures;
encourage respect for other people; and
encourage respect for democracy and support for participation in the democratic processes.